Random Fact

If you shouted for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

Question of the Week

Scientifically, the film with the best theme tune is:

See Results


Geek of the week

Nominate someone...

Nominate a Geek. Email [email protected] hypothesis.co.uk

Ring Pull Injuries

Ring Pull Injuries




A 48-year-old man accidentally swallowed the ring pull from a soft drink can. He complained of pain in his chest yet his chest radiographs were normal.


A metal detector emitted a strong response when passed across the front of his chest. Oesophagoscopy (that's throat surgery to you and me) was carried out and the ring pull was successfully removed.

The authors of the paper in which this incident was reported recommend the wider use of metal detectors by accident and emergency department staff, particularly when dealing with patients who have ingested metals of low radiodensity.

We recommend you just don't eat metal ringpulls.

Sign up to our newsletter or join our Facebook group. Oh go crazy, do both.



[Ryan, J., Perezavila, C.A., Cherukuri, A. and Tidey, B. (1995). Using a metal detector to locate a swallowed ring pull. Journal of Accident and Emergency Medicine 12, 64-65.]


Return to the top »

Share this

Bookmark this article at Digg Bookmark this article at del.icio.us Bookmark this article at Slashdot Bookmark this article at StumbleUpon Email this article to a friend


  • |
  • rss feed
07 May 2011